Piazza dei SS Giovanni e Paolo
a short 10 minute walk from the Colosseum or bus 81
daily 8:00–13:00 and 15:00–18:00
for the Case Romane del Celio (entrance is on the left of the church under the arches on Clivus Scauri)
The church, dedicated to two soldiers and Christian martyrs John and Paul, was built in the 5th century on the site of early Roman residences from the Imperial Age.
Over the centuries the church has undergone many restorations and changes. The Baroque interior that can be seen today was completed between 1715 and 1718.
Low hanging chandeliers and faux marble walls decorate the inside of the church.
The main altar holds three large paintings. The central altarpiece, by Giacomo Triga, depicts the Martyrdom of Saint Paul, the painting on the right is the Conversion of Terenziano by Pietro Andrea Barbieri, the painting on the left is the Martyrdom of Saint John by Giovanni Domenico Piastrini, all dating to 1726.
Above in the apse is the fresco by il Pomerancio (Niccolò Circignani) of Christ in Glory that dates to 1588.
|Entrance to Case Romane del Celio|
Post a Comment