open: mornings/evenings for concerts
getting there: not far from the Via del Corso and Sant'Ignazio
The Baroque Oratory del San Francesco del Caravita was first built by Jesuit Pietro Gravita in 1618.
An oratory literally translates from Latin as a place of prayer.
In 1677 the church was rebuilt and dedicated to Saint Francesco Saverio (Francesco Xavier).
The interior is a large single nave beautifully decorated with fresco and stucco work.
The atrium vault fresco is by Lazzaro Baldi and at the main altar is a painting by Sebastiano Conca dating from the 18th century.
The church is used for operas, concerts and exhibitions and can seat up to three hundred people.
click here to see upcoming events
Post a Comment