The church was first built in the 13th century and dedicated to the 4th century virgin martyr, Saint Margaret of Antioch.
It was rebuilt in the 16th century, the facade was redesigned in 1680 by Carlo Fontana.
On either side of the altarpiece are two oval paintings by Giuseppe Ghezzi, the Martyrdom of Saint Margaret on the left, and the Martyrdom of Saint Apollonia on the right.
In the half-dome above is a fresco by late 17th century artist and Franciscan friar, Fra Umile da Foligno, showing the Assumption.
In a chapel on the left hand side is il Baciccio's painting of the Immaculate Conception with Saints Francis and Clare.
Artists in Santa Margherita in Trastevere