open: 10:00-13:00 & 16:00-19:00
This Baroque church in Trastevere was built between 1593 and 1610 to house an icon of the Virgin Mary.
The church belonged to the Discalced Carmelites. In 1606 they commissioned Caravaggio to paint the Death of the Virgin (now in the Louvre in Paris), but they refused to take possession of the painting because they thought it unfit to be hung in the church.
The main altar was completed in 1650 and designed by Carlo Rainaldi. The apse painting, the Queen of Heaven was by the Cavaliere d'Arpino, Giuseppe Cesari.
In the first chapel on the left are two paintings by Cristoforo Roncalli, the fresco of the Eternal Father and the altarpiece depicting the Virgin.
In the second chapel on the left is the altarpiece by Carlo Saraceni, his version of the Death of the Virgin replaced Caravaggio's refused 'scandalous' picture.