where: Via di Santa Maria dell'Anima, 66
open: 9:00-12:45 & 15:00-19:00
Sitting quietly amongst the busy restaurants in the narrow street behind Piazza Navona is Santa Maria dell'Amina.
A church was first founded here in 1350, connected to a hospice caring for Dutch and German pilgrims.
The present church was commissioned for the Holy Year of 1500 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary and souls and completely redecorated in the Baroque style in the 17th century after the Tiber River flooded and damaged the church.
At the high altar is the altarpiece of the Holy Family and Saints (c.1522) by Giulo Romano, former student of Raphael.
An interesting copy of the Pietà (the original by Michelangelo is in Saint Peter's Basilica) is by Lorenzetto and dates to 1532.
The church also holds the burial monument to German Pope Hadrian VI by Baldassare Peruzzi.
Artists in Santa Maria dell'Anima
Post a Comment