where: Piazza della Madonna di Loreto
how to get there: metro linea B - Colosseo / bus # 40 or #64 from Termini
opening hours: weekdays 16:00-19:00, Sundays 8:30-13:00 & 16:00-19:00
In the Jubilee Year of 1500 Borgia Pope Alexander VI gave his permission for a church to be built on the site of an existing chapel dedicated to the Virgin of Loreto for the guild of the bakers.
The church was designed by Antonio da Sangallo, the younger and construction started in 1507 –although the church was not fully completed until the later part of the 16th century by Jacopo del Duca.
The Virgin and Child and the Blessed House of Loreto at the front door by Andrea Sansovino, and the four saints at the main altar, carved by Stefano Maderno, Giuliano Finelli, and Francois Duquesnoy.
The second chapel decorations are by Niccolò Circignani, il Pomarancio.