where: Via dei Prefetti
getting there: near Via del Corso/a short walk from Piazza del Parlamento
open: mornings until 12:00
San Nicola dei Prefetti is an 18th century convent church hidden between buildings and shops on the busy Via dei Prefetti in the neighbourhood of Campo Marzio.
The church was rebuilt by the Dominicans in the 18th century and it once held a Madonna and Child painting by Guido Reni. This sadly had to be sold when the Dominicans needed funds to complete the church rebuilding.
The vault fresco was painted by Giacomo Triga around 1730 and shows the Glory of Saint Nicholas of Bari.