Vicolo del Divino Amore, 12
off the Piazza Borghese
Just around the corner from the Piazza Borghese is a narrow, cobbled street called Vicolo del Divino Amore and about half-way down, past the graffiti, is the church of Santa Maria del Divino Amore – the church of Divine Love.
A church was first built here in the 12th century and originally named for Saint Cecilia (as it was built over the house of her father). The 12th century medieval bell tower dates from the original church building.
In 1729 Pope Benedict XIII ordered the construction of a new church. The architect was Filippo Raguzzini and it was built for the guild of the mattress-makers (Confraternita die Materazzari).
The church was restored in the early 19th century, the name changed, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The interior was decorated with frescoes and the ceiling vault and side walls were painted by Filippo Prosperi in the neo-Classical style.
The high altar painting is attributed to 19th century neo-Classical artist Vincenzo Cammuccini.
|left altar - Placido Constanzi|
|right altar - Fabrizio Chiari|
Post a Comment