Piazza di Santa Maria alle Fornaci, 30
Near the Vatican San Pietro train station
Santa Maria delle Grazie alle Fornaci (Saint Mary of the Graces at the Furnaces) is a short 10 minute walk from the Vatican.
A church on this site dates back to 15th century and named for the brick kilns or furnaces of the area that were built to make bricks for the rebuilding of Saint Peter's.
The rebuilding of Santa Maria delle Grazie alle Fornica began in 1694 with the facade completed in 1727 and the Baroque inspired bell tower not added until the 20th century.
The interior is a Greek cross with a single nave and central altar.
In the first altar on the right is Giuseppe Chiari
's last work the Sacred Family
and on the left is an altarpiece by Pietro Bianchi with lunettes decorated by Marco Benefial.
The dome decorations were by Pietro da Pietri.
The church is open from 7am until 11.30 and reopens at 4pm until 7.30pm.
Post a Comment