Via di Monserrato
This Baroque church is the National church of Spain, dedicated to the Virgin of Montserrat and the burial place of two Borgia popes removed from Saint Peters, Callixtus and his nephew, Pope Alexander VI.
Church construction first began in 1518, with support from the notorious Borgia Pope Alexander VI, due to the unpopularity of the pope problems arose raising the funds causing the church to take many years to complete. The church was finally consecrated in 1594.
It was restored between 1803 and 1807 when the smaller, decaying Spanish church in the Piazza Navona, then called San Giacomo degli Spagnoli, was absorbed. Much of the art in the present church is from San Giacomo.
In the sanctuary is a large altarpiece by Sermoneta depicting the Crucifixion and in the first chapel on the right is an altarpiece by Annibale Carracci taken from San Giacomo.