where: Piazza di San Pietro in Montorio/Gianicolo
A church was first constructed here in the 9th century – during medieval times here was believed to be the place Saint Peter was crucified upside down.
At the high altar is the Crucifixion of Saint Peter by late-Baroque artist Vincenzo Camuccini. This is a copy of Guido Reni's painting, also now in the Vatican Pinacoteca.
In the fourth chapel is Giorgio Vasari's ceiling fresco. He also decorated the fifth chapel with the Conversion of Saint Paul.
The second chapel on the left was designed by Gianlorenzo Bernini in 1640.
The fourth chapel was decorated by Dutch Baroque artist, Dirck van Baburen. Influenced by the style of Caravaggio, this was his most important commission in Rome.
The last chapel on the left is the Baptism of Christ attributed to Daniele da Volterra.
|Sebastiano del Piombo