Basilica dei SS XII Apostoli is a minor basilica dedicated to the twelve apostles.
The first church on this site was built in the 6th century then completely destroyed and abandoned after an earthquake in 1348.
In 1417 Pope Martin V, a member of the Colonna family who owned the nearby Palazzo Colonna, rebuilt and restored the church.
In 1665 Carlo Rainaldo redesigned the facade giving it a Baroque appearance, adding the statues of Christ and the twelve apostles to the porch facade.
In 1714 Carlo and Francesco Fontana completed the commission from Pope Clement to restored the interior of the church.
The church is dimly lit and serene and above, in the central nave is the Triumph of the Order of St Francis by il Baciccio completed in 1707, one of his last works in Rome.
Above the nave arch is the fresco by Giovanni Odazzi from 1709 depicting the rebel Angels Defeated by St Michael.
The church is open from 7am until noon and reopens from 4pm until 7pm and definitely NO flash photography is allowed.