metro - Linea A Ottaviano - S. Pietro
Santa Maria in Traspontina is on Via della Concilazione, the street which leads up to Saint Peter's Square and the Vatican.
It was designed and built in 1566 by Giovanni Sallustio Peruzzi and completed in 1668.
The facade is travertine marble, thought to have been stripped and taken from the Colosseum.
The interior is a Latin cross with five chapels on each side of the nave and the main altar was designed in 1674 by Carlo Fontana.
In the fourth chapel, right are frescoes dating to 1649 by Bernardino Gagliardi and also the Madonna and St John the Evangelist from 1587 by Cesare Conti.
In the first chapel dedicated to Saint Barbara on the right hand side, is the altarpiece Santa Barbara by Giuseppe Cesari from around 1597.
On the outside of the church, on the left of the facade, is the small Oratorio della Dottrina Cristiana decorated by Giovanni Conca. It also holds the Apotheosis of Saint Albert by Carlo Maratta.