10 minute walk from Piazza Campidoglio
The church was named after an icon of the Virgin Mary, paid for by a condemned nobleman who wanted to console other criminals facing death.
The church sits at the bottom of the Palatine Hill and although construction first began in the 15th century it wasn't finally completed until the 19th century.
Inside the church are frescoes of the Scenes of the Passion (1556) by Taddeo Zuccari and the Madonna and Child with Saints (1575) by Livio Agresti.
Also in the third chapel on the right is story of the Nativity by Giovanni Baglione and two pictures by Cristoforo Roncalli in the sanctuary.
The church holds a marble relief of the Mystic Marriage of St Catherine by Raffaello da Montelupo (c. 1530) who was a student of Michelangelo, a 13th century icon of the Virgin Mary and a medieval fresco of Our Lady.